Tuesday, August 23, 2011

1 year post op

I had my 1 year follow up with the audiologist today and it went very well.

She shared with me that I "bring up the average" because my hearing has improved drastically from my pre-implant days.  I'll try to explain it so follow along carefully:

The average adult who receives a Cochlear Implant (CI) needs "normal" conversation amplified about 16dbs (decibels) above the background noise (fans, wind, other conversations).  The average adult with "normal" hearing hears conversation at -2.5dbs.  PRE surgery I needed amplification at 19.5dbs and NOW with only the CI I only need it amplified around 4.5dbs and with BOTH hearing aid and CI I got 2dbs.  for the average CI user they hear about 7dbs.  So... I'm bringing up the curve- I need to be the "nerd" somewhere!
    All I can REALLY tell you is that this is a good thing. A very. good. thing. 

Bittersweet news of today was that I may not qualify for a CI just yet in my right ear.  The reason for this is I still receive benefit from my hearing aid.  I'm ok with this- actually this is good news, my hearing still works "well enough."  My scores were high enough to be right "on the line" of whether or not it would be more beneficial to have a CI or not in my right ear.  The audiologist reassured me that I'm young, I still benefit from the hearing aid and there will be more technological advances in the future.  I also do not have to go back for another year... yay!

Wanna hear something way cool?  The Audiologist saw at a conference that AB (my CI brand) is coming out with a WATER RESISTANT PROCESSOR(the thing I wear on my head)!!!!!!!!! How awesome is that? for FULL SUBMERSION under WATER... wow... I could swim AND hear at the same time? that's pretty amazing!

That's all I have for today- luckily, it's good news :)

Loves!

1 comment:

  1. i am waaay our out of date - because i just read this. but it would be

    AWESOME

    to have a water resistant processor!

    but i do like signing and lip reading with you at pools.....

    ReplyDelete