Saturday, April 14, 2012

Hello Friends...Long time no "see"

It's been since August! How have you been?  I never really thought I'd update again but here we go...

On Thursday evening, I noticed a change in my hearing in my RIGHT ear (currently with a hearing aid) it sounded like there was fluid in there that all the sounds were "dense" so immediately I thought it was the hearing aid as they are getting a little old- so I did what I knew how to do...I changed the tubing checked all the small crevices for dirt/grime/moisture/etc. and there was no change.  I went to bed that night betting my hearing will be fine in the morning.  Woke up and my hearing was still "acting up".  So I went to work and I e-mailed anyone and everyone I know who knows about sudden hearing loss. Audiologist, a parent I work with who works for ENT dept at Mayo.. I was told to come in right away.

FLASH BACK: When the hearing in my left ear deteriorated to the point of qualifying for a CI it started out exactly like this- except that time I just went to urgent care in town.  There, though they didn't see any fluid and I had no fever, I was diagnosed (TWICE) with an ear infection and sent home with medicine.  This is where self-advocacy comes in... since I knew something was up that my hearing still was weird I called an audiology dept in the area directly and they got me in quickly and everything from then on was a diagnosed  hearing loss.

BACK TO THE PRESENT:   On Friday, I went in and prayed the whole drive there, things have been so stressful I didn't need this to add to my plate.  I'm also unsure how much insurance will cover but that's the least of my worries right now.  The funny thing is, the parent I work with called at 9:30 and said she could get me in at 10:30...it's about a 50 minute drive so I essentially RAN out of work, told people to get me a sub and made sure my students were still covered- OFFDAH I have great co-workers.
  So the results of my hearing test were that all of my hearing levels have decreased 5-15dbs...which is a lot for someone who already has a significant hearing loss.  My word recognition fell from 26% to 10% (in the aided ear).  I'm currently on Steroids in hopes to bring the hearing that I lost back.

Emotionally: I'm feeling alright with it- extremely frustrated and sad as I feel I'm losing a part of me (again that's my emotional side- my logical side knows better than that).  I have been saying I'd definitely get another CI as the one I have has been so amazing...but really? I didn't really want to HAVE to get one- I'd rather elect to have one when I'm ready.  I'm not saying I'm qualified in the right ear yet, but only time will tell!

Optimistic points throughout all this: I have great people in my life who are willing to help me every chance I get.  A huge shout out to the person who helped get me in right away at the Audiologist...you are AMAZING!

No comments:

Post a Comment