Thursday, June 24, 2010

surgery description

This will be pretty basic- from my memory of what my surgery will entail- it could have "wrong information" but it's whats in my head right now... yeah that basic ;)

Getting a Cochlear Implant (CI for short) it's a relatively easy surgery that takes about 1-3 hours and I would be considered an "outpatient," now that's where a large majority of the anxiety sets in, being "put under" when I had my wisdom teeth out and was "under" for 10 minutes I did NOT like the feeling afterwards... or the vomiting or the shakes/ shivers. ANYWAY, the surgery is just a small incision on my scalp just behind and a little up from my left ear- they put the "computer chip" there resting on my skull under the skin, they then put a TEENY TINY electrode (Actually I think there are several on there) into my cochlea which is the size of a pea and resembles a snail shell. I have full trust in the surgeon and am not afraid of the SURGERY part just everything surrounding it. Also, with this surgery there is no guarantee that it'll work well and due to the electrodes into the cochlea it'll damage any residual hearing I actually do have. - so thats a risk I'm willing to take.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Andrea, it's Bri Zeinert. Brittany shared this link with me. I'm not sure if you're aware, but there are audio simulations out there on the internet that give you an idea what hearing via a CI sounds like, if you're interested. If you search for cochlear implant simulation or something like that you should be able to find some.
    Good luck with the surgery!

    ReplyDelete