Wednesday, November 24, 2010

One month later!

Hello all!  I just want to give a shout out to Kristin S.  as she keeps hasslin' me to update this blog- so thank her for this update!

I was just in for some hearing tests and speech testing on the 19th and let me tell you, it was pretty amazing.  With the CI alone, I could hear like 86% phonemes (Parts of the words) and 60 some% of whole words (in quiet)- my audiologist was quite impressed "tremendous progress" she noted!  With BOTH the hearing aid and the CI I heard  98% of sentences correctly in quiet... "in quiet" means just that- no background noise which isn't entirely realistic but still a HUGE difference from pre-CI!  So quite exciting.  I also have a new setting on my CI to use the phone... I haven't tried it yet- she recommends using it with a landline and call people who I know well (their voice anyway) I don't have a landline- apparently if you have a data plan on your cell phone (which I do) it could mess with the frequencies and all that fun stuff. 

Today I'm setting up my IPOD on my computer to start downloading books from a local library- this should help me with my word recognition- kind of like studying for the collegiate type.

On a semi-side note: There has been a voluntary recall on my implant because 2 people have had shocks, pain and loud noises about 10 days post operation... I'm not concerned about it- I still trust Advanced Bionics and I'm impressed that they are having a voluntary recall after 2 people have had issues, this tells me that they care about ME as a recipient. 

Anyway, thank you ALL for your thoughts, prayers and cards throughout this whole process it's been quite a ride! 


Have a great Thanksgiving and stay safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment